Sonas forms the eastern side of a red brick semi-detached protected structure built circa 1910. The design provides contemporary, functional, warm family spaces that connect with both the rear and front gardens whilst retaining a strong link to the original reception room of the house.
A partly ground floor and first floor extension is conceived around a new external courtyard created to the east of the main house. The courtyard is located to take advantage of the southerly aspect to the front of the property, thus creating an enclosed sheltered sun trap which is accessible from both the main house and the new extension.
Solid blockwork wrapped with painted and rendered external insulation provides an appropriate foil to the red Flemish bonded brickwork of the main houses while the powder coated aluminium floor to ceiling glazing does not distract from the original timber framed sash windows of the main volume which were completely refurbished as part of the works.
26 / 06 / 2018